CONTENTMENT COTTAGE

WELCOME! In the midst of each life's chaos exists a place of calm and sunshine. I call mine Contentment Cottage. It is the place where I write my stories and find the peace of God. I've posted my "Ice Pick" reviews and will continue to add some of what I call my "Ice Crystals": poems, articles, essays, fillers, and recipes.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I can't believe how long it's been since I was here! Time certainly flies when you're having flies. Or something! Scary business, whatever it is.

I have recently been able to get back into my writing, at least a little. I've been revising Darkest Hour, the second fantasy book in my Casanarva Scrolls, trying to improve the pacing. I went back and labelled the chapters in my chapter list "A" for Action chapters and "Q" for Quiet ones. The quiet ones are often dramatic, but lack action--okay, violence. Too bad that the two are so often equivalent in our society, but they are. When I did that labelling, it was easy to see where I had too many Q chapters in a row. The resulting switching around meant having to change seasonal references, etc. That was a pain, but some of the chapters were set in Eedo, "where winter never ends," so it wasn't as bad as it could have been! :)

I even got back to working on The Coleman Massacre, a historical novel based on a true Indian attack right here in Burlingham, N.Y. back in September 1757. I got a bit stalled out on the Lenape (Delaware) Indian words, but with the help of their website and some Inter-Library Loaned books on the language by Nora Thompson Dean (Touching Leaves Woman), I think I've gotten them straightened out. I hope so.

Now Sally May (my red & white furry secretary) is helping me type this, so anything is possible. Not that she isn't a fine paperweight and a first class champion shredder, but her typing leaves a lot to be desired. What can you expect from someone with four legs and a tail who follows you home from the post office? Ten years ago on December 1st actually. She was so little she didn't know how to drink milk from a saucer, but she smelled of perfume. Someone threw her away. And with all the trucks and cars pulling in and out of the post office parking lot, it's a miracle this tiny kitten survived. Probably they hoped she'd get a good home for Christmas. I hope she did. She seems to like it here anyway. And we love kitty very much.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Shutrbug84 said...

Hello, Diana...here is a voice from writers' organizations past...does the National Writers Club ring any bells?? I just came across your cookbook and thought, I wonder if I could find my dear writing friend online...and I did under Contentment Cottage! Love your blog, and would love to touch base. Just ran into fellow former NWC member Hilarie at the PO...so nice to trip down Memory Lane. How can I Email you? Happy New Year! ~Dorothy

3:10 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Hi Dorothy! Happy New Year to you too! That's great you ran into Hilarie. Gee, I've thought about you so often. It's wonderful to run into you again.

Hmm. We can't keep meeting like this, but how do we exchange email addresses without telling the whole world?

Do you still have my snail address? I'm at the same place. Same phone no. too.
~~Diana

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home