CONTENTMENT COTTAGE

WELCOME! In the midst of each life's chaos exists a place of calm and sunshine. I call mine Contentment Cottage. It is the place where I write my stories and find the peace of God. I've posted my "Ice Pick" reviews and will continue to add some of what I call my "Ice Crystals": poems, articles, essays, fillers, and recipes.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

CLIMBING OVER THE BIG HILL AND SMALL "STUFF"
I was asked recently how I combat the frustrations of aging.

First of all I depend on Jesus! Secondly, I depend on my friends, and I have the best friends anyone could have in the whole world. Was it an accident that I found them just before my world began crumbling? I don't think so. God sends us help when we most need it.

Also, you have to be patient with yourself and flexible and recognize that you're not as strong or as quick as you used to be and make adjustments or be willing to give stuff up or do it more slowly. I can't walk as far, so I park closer to stores. I used to be able to hoe out the garage in one day. I used to be able to mow the whole yard in one day. Can't do it anymore! And there's no point killing myself over it. I get stuff done. It just takes longer. And if I can't get to stuff, I remember "Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's all small stuff." In the scheme of life, you have to set priorities.

It drives me craziest that I can't remember stuff. So I've learned that I can't multitask like I used to, and I have to make notes and lists. Those notepads that charities send are wonderful for jotting little things down.

And I rejoice in the things I can do and the beauties in Nature around me as the seasons change. I laugh with the kitties and ignore their mischief for the joy they bring us. And I've gone back to the things that always gave me pleasure, but which I don't have time for anymore. So I can't spend an hour doing needlework or sit and read 125 pages a day and whip through books, but I can find 10 minutes or so. And if it means getting up at 4 a.m. to do laundry or clean out my inbox so I'll have time to watch a baseball game or play with the kittens or write a chapter or a scene, then I do it. And I get to see gorgeous sunrises as a result.

I think getting older means learning what's important and what's not and playing through pain if you don't want to sit on the bench in the dugout. There'll be plenty of time for that maybe too if we're lucky.

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger FiveSibesMom said...

How true, Diana! Finding joy in the little things is actually quite a treasure. I spend most of my time with my daughter playing with our Huskies. Getting up and letting them out in the early AM has gifted me with many beautiful skies that otherwise would have been missed. Oh, and sticky notes are my best friend. I've been known to have a few get stuck on me!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home